Monday, August 2, 2010

Smiles to Go

This book is by Jerry Spinelli. I have read one of his books before so I knew that he was an excellent writer. However, they way he approached this book was much different. This book was written in a diary format from the main character's point of view. I have to say that I really did love this book. The lead character, Will, is a ninth grader who is a bit of a micro-manager. He is very type A and wants everything his way; so when things don't go as planned he can't help but to dwell on them. Yes, I will admit that I related to him right away. From his passion for science to his ability to plan things down to even the most minute detail, yep I was him. I was Will; and as the events of the book unfolded, I knew just how he was going to react because it was just how I would have reacted (especially back in high school). I will say that Will's life does have a moment that will change him forever. Although I will not tell you what it is, I will say it was something that I didn't see coming. It is this moment when I really see Will open his eyes to the world outside of his head. I know what that is like. As a micro-manager, I like to live within my own mind sometimes. It is safe there and I can plan every word of a conversation that way. It isn't until you step out side of your head though that you really see the world. I think this is what happens to Will. He finally sees reality.

I have to say that Jerry Spinelli, makes his characters realistic and that if a writer can do that and they don't need a lot of flash. I think that I became more engrossed in Will then I have in all the fantasy books I have read. This was the same way for the other book I read by this author. There are moments in the book such as deciding how to ask out someone that I think everyone can relate to and look back on. This book is great for fourth graders and up. But I think adults will like it most because they will remember being in the same types of situations wondering how will I ever survive. It is a great and easy read.

No comments:

Post a Comment